- Bachelor of Arts, University of Winnipeg, Manitoba
- JD, University of Manitoba, Manitoba
- LLM (Municipal and Constitutional Law), University of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan
- Student-at-law, Associate Lawyer; Bennett Jones, LLP
- Solicitor; City of Saskatoon Solicitor’s Office
Alan practices law with a focus on property tax assessment where he has appeared before boards, tribunals and courts of all levels.
Alan’s work on assessment matters has given him particular insight into mass appraisal and unique valuation issues. His forthright approach has seen him:
- Conduct hearings for retail, multi-residential, warehouse and office properties
- Advise on classification and comparability issues
- Act in a successful appellate court decision regarding the assessment of multi-use (commercial and residential) properties
- Work as part of a consulting team that advised a provincial government on improvements to municipal assessment appeal tribunals
- Consult on the interpretation of mass appraisal assessment legislation
- Prepare and conduct advocacy training for assessment appraisers
- Seek leave to appeal at the Supreme Court of Canada relating to the assessment of large warehouses
- Counsel on property tax exemption issues
- Advise a municipal government on property tax legislation and jurisprudence.
- Represent an intervenor before the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal in an application to reconsider the test for leave for property tax appeals
Prior to practicing property tax assessment and civil litigation in the municipal sector, Alan was an associate at an international law firm focusing on corporate-commercial law.
*Alan practices in Canada with Ryan Law Firm, PC.
Admitted to Practice
- Saskatchewan, 2016
- Alberta, 2015
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Chair, The Supreme Court of Canada Liaison Subcommittee
- Director, Public Legal Education Association of Saskatchewan
- Member, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Property Tax Association