- J.D., De Paul University, Chicago
- B.S.C., De Paul University, Chicago
- Of Counsel, Ryan Law Firm
- Herb’s practice concentrates in the representation of closely held business enterprises with an emphasis on tax planning; estate planning; asset protection; and real estate transactions. Herb also has an extensive real estate tax reduction practice. He is presently affiliated with the Firm in an of counsel capacity.
- Herb has extensive experience in representing closely held businesses with an emphasis on tax planning. The legal services performed for a closely held business include the following: (i) purchase and sale of real estate which may include a tax free exchange; (ii) design and implement qualified plans; (iii) design and implement non-qualified deferred compensation plans for key executives; (iv) negotiate and prepare leases; (v) negotiate and prepare employment agreements; (vi) purchase and sale of businesses and divisions of businesses; and (vii) negotiate and implement loan transactions which may include an asset based leveraged loan. As a part of representing the owners of a closely held business, Herb has extensive experience in succession planning, asset protection and estate planning for the closely held business and its owners. Herb has designed and implemented the following estate planning documents: (i) living trusts; (ii) irrevocable insurance trusts; (iii) family partnerships; (iv) shareholder agreements; (v) qualified residence trusts; and (vi) sale of closely held stock to an irrevocable grantor trust. Herb is also actively involved in the Firm’s real estate tax department. For approximately twenty years, Herb has successfully represented real estate owners to reduce their property taxes. The types of properties Herb has represented include: (i) industrial; (ii) commercial; (iii) theaters; (iv) hotels and motels; (v) automobile dealerships; (vi) restaurants, including fast food restaurants; (vii) funeral homes; (viii) family residences; (ix) mini warehouses; and (x) office buildings.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Estate Planning Council
- Adjunct Professor at Kent Law School
- International Association of Assessing Officers
Areas of Practice
Real Estate Property Tax
Admitted to Practice
- Illinois Bar