- B.B.A., University of Notre Dame, Summa Cum Laude
- Hamilton Award – Finance & Business Economics
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School
- Hinton Moot Court Finalist
- Thomas brings to his clients experience and expertise in real property valuation and commercial property tax appeals, and is frequently invited to address the most significant issues in those areas.
- Thomas has played an active role in the property tax world at the American Bar Association (ABA), the Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT), the National Association of Property Tax Attorneys (NAPTA), as well as activities in the property tax area on behalf of other recognized business groups.
Thomas R. Wilhelmy had been a Shareholder since 1988 at Fredrikson & Byron, P.A. in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Thomas’s last day at Fredrikson was December 29, 2023. He founded the Property Tax Department and was the Chair until recent years. On January 1, 2024, Thomas commenced a new role as Partner at Ryan Law Firm, PLLC, and will be the Property Tax Leader, Minnesota.
My professional goals have always focused on being of the highest level of beneficial service to the client community and the professionals in the niche area in which my time and attention was devoted. Over the years, I have been on the cutting edge of many of the most crucial issues in the property tax world. Joining the elite property tax team at Ryan Law Firm will enable me to continue to further my professional goals and continue to have a highly positive impact on the goals, interests and lives of the client community and the professionals in the niche property tax area.
For many years, coaching youth athletics has been a personal area in which I have joyfully devoted my time. I was blessed to have learned from and played for a number of really outstanding coaches. For 17 consecutive years, I coached at least three youth sports each and every year, including boys soccer and football, boys and girls hockey, boys baseball and girls softball – mostly involving traveling teams. I find it personally fulfilling to have watched my young players go on to enjoy success at the high school and college level, and now to watch the players whom I coached return the favor by coaching their own children and current youth teams.
My other hobbies and interests include mentoring, college football, and supporting groups serving the needs of the community.
Awards & Recognitions
- MSBA Board Certified Specialist in Real Property Law since the inception of that designation
- Best Lawyers in America – Litigation and Controversy – Tax each year from 2015 through 2024
- Best Lawyers in America – “Lawyer of the Year in Minneapolis – Litigation and Controversy – Tax for 2023
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Attorney (Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards in 2023 and many prior years)
Admitted to Practice