- BS, University of Virginia
- JD, Alabama School of Law
- Member, Galloway Scott
- CEO & President, Jefferson Title
- President Commercial Division, Reli Title
- VP Associate General Counsel, Saks Incorporated
- Owner, Scott Law Firm
- Associate, Lange Simpson Robinson & Somerville
Walter or Mr. Scott, has practiced in the area of commercial real estate his entire 38+ years of practicing. Coming out of law school Mr. Scott joined one of the larger law firms in Alabama at the time, and practiced in a variety of areas, with a focus on litigation and real estate transactions. He then joined a regional department store company called Parisian as the associate counsel, which the company through mergers and acquisitions grew to be named Saks Incorporated. Mr. Scott became the VP and Associate General Counsel. In 2006 the company sold off its department stores, and moved the headquarters to New York. Mr. Scott then got into the title insurance industry as the President of Reli Title’s commercial division, and then the CEO and President of Jefferson Title. In 2010 he left the title industry and went back to the practice of law, forming a firm in Birmingham Alabama. Mr. Scott’s private practice has focused on ad valorem tax matters and related real estate litigation involving value, including condemnation matters, tax purchasing and redemption, water trespass and commercial disputes. In 2022 one of Mr. Scott’s clients obtained the largest condemnation verdict in the county. Through the administrative process and litigation Mr. Scott’s clients have received refunds of tens of millions of dollars.
Mr. Scott recognized that the Ryan Law team are experts in the industry and is excited about joining their team and to provide clients the tax representation with the depth of a multi-state tax focused practice.
When not providing legal services Mr. Scott enjoys spending time in the outdoors and with his wife and 4 children, and is active with golf, tennis, mountain bike riding, caving, pickle ball, fishing and hunting.
If you are an Alabama taxpayer in need of reduced ad valorem taxes, please contact Mr. Scott.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Parish Counsel (Chair 2023-2024), St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church
- Board of Directors, Reed Foundation
- Board of Directors, Exceptional Foundation
- Board of Directors, Alabama Retail Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association
Areas of Expertise
- Real Estate Litigation
- Real Estate Transactions
- Real Estate Title Litigation
- Ad Valorem Tax Appeals
- Probate Litigation
- Commercial Dispute Resolution and Litigation
Admitted to Practice